1. Export your references using the EndNote XML file format:
2. Import the file into Mendeley Desktop:
3. Import into Mendeley Reference Manager:
1. Log in to your RefWorks account.
2. At the top left, select References, then click on Export.
3. Under References to include select either:
Open the folder you want to migrate first, and then click Export.
4. Under Export format select Bibliographic Software (EndNote, Reference Manager, or ProCite).
5. Click Export. A new window or tab will open in your web browser, displaying your references.
6. Go to File in the top menu and select Save as and save the file as a Plain Text file (TXT).
If you do not receive a download prompt, look for the ‘Completed’ box and click the ‘click here’ link.
8. Enter a file name and Click Save.
A. Import into Mendeley Desktop:
1. Open Mendeley Desktop and Click Add Files.
2. Locate the file and and click Open. Your references will be imported into Mendeley under My Library.
Attachments in RefWorks will not be exported. You will need to save these individually to your computer and then import them into Mendeley. Once imported, Mendeley Desktop will attach them to the appropriate references. Once migrated, your RefWorks descriptors will appear as Mendeley keywords.
3. Data in the User Fields section will not be imported to Mendeley. Copy that data into the comments area before exporting or importing, and Sync.
You cannot use the Mendeley Word plugin in a document that contains RefWorks Write-N-Cite formatted citations or bibliographies
B. Import into Mendeley Reference Manager:
1. Click on Add new on the left pane.
2. Select Import Library.
3. Select Endnote XML and then the file that you exported from EndNote and Save/Open.
1. In Mendeley, from the Tools menu, select Options (PC) or go to Preferences (Mac).
2. Mendeley Desktop will attempt to automatically locate your Zotero database. Browse to the correct Zotero library if the default address is not correct.
Import into Mendeley Reference Manager:
Removing Codes in Word Document
If you started your document and cited your sources using a different citation management tool (RefWorks & Endnote), and for some reason you need to continue writing your document using Mendeley, you need to remove the field codes used by the first program so you would be able to use the Word plugin of Mendeley, following the steps below:
1. Open the Word document.
2. Press CTRL+A on your keyboard to select all the text within the document.
3. Right-click, then select (Remove content control or Toggle Field Codes).
4. Press CTRL+SHIFT+F9 on your keyboard. This will remove the field codes, replacing them with the text they contained.
5. Save the document with a new name.