Mendeley Cite, a plugin for Word, must be installed before you are able to use Mendeley while writing your document.
To use Mendeley and cite your sources directly in your Microsoft Word document, you must install Mendeley Cite as below:
1- Download and Install Mendeley Cite:
You can either download Mendeley Cite directly from Mendeley website, Microsoft App Store, or go to Tools in Mendeley Reference Manager and select "Install Mendeley Cite for Microsoft Word" and follow the instructions.
You can either look up a certain reference or select from all references, insert bibliography and change citation style:
Once you sign in to Mendeley Cite, your Mendeley library is downloaded from the cloud, so you don't need to have Mendeley Desktop or Mendeley Reference Manager open or even installed to use it
1. Place the cursor where you would like to insert your in-text citation then go to the References tab and click on the Mendeley Cite button.
2. Search by Author, Title or Year, and select the relevant reference (s) from the list. You can search for more articles if you are citing more than one.
3. Click on "Insert Citations"
Step 3: Bibliography
You can insert a bibliography at any point in your writing process:
1. Place cursor where you would like your bibliography to be listed.
2. Go to the Reference tab and click on Mendeley Cite.
The bibliography will be generated in the style that you define and it will automatically update whenever a new in-text citation is added.