Sources can be added to Mendeley Manually or Imported from a database.
To add a reference manually, follow the steps below:
1. Click on Add new and select Add Manual Entry.
2. Select the appropriate Reference Type of entry from the drop-down list.
3. Enter the author of your entry as: Last Name, First Name/Initial
4. Enter all the information that you have of the item and then click on Add entry.
If you know the DOI (Digital Object Identifier) of a source, you can look up the source and add it to your library. Just type-in the DOI and the system will import the metadata. Revise it, and then Add entry.
Select a group of PDF files, drag and drop then into your library. The references for these documents will be created automatically with their respective metadata. Or click on "Add new" and choose File(s) from computer. and select the files you wish to add.
The metadata is not always complete/correct. It is essential to check each entry and correct the mistakes and add missing information.
It works best with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It does not work with any versions of Safari.
2. Tick the boxes next to the articles you would like to import.
3. Tick the box Add PDFs if available if you want to import them with the references.
Each time you go to a new page you need to reopen the Web Importer.
In order to access more PDFs, Mendeley recommends that you sign in to your institution’s proxy server when working remotely.
To insert references from a database into Mendeley, you need to "Export" them.
1. On your search results page, select the articles you wish to add and then find the "export" feature. In some databases you might find "Send to" instead of Export (i.e. PubMed).
2. The export options compatible with Mendeley are: BibTex (.bib), RIS (.ris), or XML. Choose one of them.
3. When prompted to save or open the file, save it to a location on your computer that you will remember.
4. Click on the Add new icon in the top left corner then go to Import library.
5. Choose the type that fits the file that you downloaded and double-click on it. Your exported references are now added into your Mendeley library.
Mendeley and Scopus are both owned by Elsevier, therefore you can send your Scopus search results directly to your Mendeley library:
2. Do your search and go to the results, select the articles you wish to export and click on Export.
4. You will see a confirmation message at the top of your search results.
5. You may need to Sync your Mendeley Library for the new references to appear.