Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Adding Full Text PDFs to References
In your EndNote Library, select the references to which you want to attach the full text then choose one of the following options:
- Go to the References menu and select Find Full Text
- Right click on selected references and choose Find Full Text
- Click the Find Full Text icon on the toolbar
- Download and save the PDF on your desktop
- In your EndNote library, select and highlight corresponding reference
- Go to the References menu
- Select File Attachments then Attach File
- Browse to the PDF file saved on your desktop
- Click Open
- If the PDF is on your desktop, you can drag and drop the file directly to the corresponding reference in Endnote
A paperclip symbol will appear on the left side of the reference to indicate that a file has been attached to the record.
N.B. Multiple files can be linked to the same reference.
Searching within PDFs and PDF Notes
EndNote X7 allows you to search the full text of PDF files as well as their Sticky Notes. In the search panel, select from the drop down menu one of the following options: Any Field + PDF with Notes; PDF; or PDF Notes. Type in your keyword/s then press Enter.
Viewing and Annotating attached PDFs
In your EndNote library, you can open, highlight and annotate PDF files.
- Highlight a reference with an attached PDF.
- Double click on the selected reference to open the Reference Panel
- Click on the PDF tab to open the PDF document
- A toolbar will open on the top of the PDF document
To make a note
- Select the orange Sticky Note icon
- Navigate through the document
- Left click your mouse
- Enter your comments or notes
- Click the Save icon in the toolbar
To highlight a text
- Click the Highlighting icon
- Select text
- Click the Save icon
N. B. You can also save your changes by closing the PDF document.
To remove highlights and annotations
- Put the mouse over the highlighted area or the sticky note
- Right click your mouse then select Delete Annotations