PubMed and Medline share practically the same content, however PubMed contains the very recent articles not yet indexed with MeSH and overall about 2% more information than Medline, derived from:
- In-process recent citations entered into PubMed but not yet indexed with MeSH
- Citations that precede the date that a journal was selected for indexing, if supplied electronically by the publisher.
- Some old Medline records that have not yet been updated with current MeSH
- Citations to articles that are out-of-scope from general science indexed journals.
- Citations to some additional life science journals that submit full-text to PubMedCentral.
- Citations to author manuscripts of articles published by NIH funds.
- Citations appearing from some life science book chapters appearing in NCBI Bookshelf.
So, which one should you search for a particular topic?
It really does not matter as long as you use the resource that you know how to effectively search. Some prefer Medline, others prefer PubMed...so what is your preference?